Re: Mark Email as Urgent

Richard Lynch wrote:
> On Thu, October 13, 2005 12:47 pm, Nathaniel Hall wrote:
>
>>I have a PHP script that automatically sends an e-mail when accessed.
>>Is there any way to mark the e-mail that is sent
>>as urgent or flagged?
>>
>>Any help is appreciated.
>

> Yes, but...
>
> You can add a header "Priority: High" (I think it's "High")
>
> But only spammers use that [1], so it increases the odds of getting
> marked as spam.
>
> The urgency of an email, as defined by the sender, has turned out to
> be relatively useless, since the urgency, as defined by the recipient,
> rarely matches.  While you may have the luxury of knowing for sure
> that the two urgencies (sender/recipient) *DO* match up, it's a rare
> occurrence.
>
> If you have sufficient control over sender and recipient accounts, you
> could add URGENT to the Subject: and/or set up filtering on the email
> client to force the message to be flagged there, based on criteria
> that are less likely to get the email flagged as junk.
>
> Maybe if Priority email cost more to send and bulk was cheaper, these
> settings would become meaningful again.  But, as it stands now, they
> are largely useless to the sender.  I'm sure some recipients
> re-prioritize email based on filters, and that remains useful.
>
> [1] This was an exaggeration, though not a huge one. Actually, savvy
> spammers no longer use a Priority setting.

This is all for internal use.  The PHP webpage is used as a honeypot on our website.  When people visit the appropriate
page, I would like an Urgent e-mail to be sent to my e-mail and my cell phone (to the phones email address).  I am able
to send text messages as urgent and they vibrate and ring differently already.  I have the page working now, but it does
not mark anything as urgent or high priority.