Re: Obsession with BC

Kilbride, James wrote:
Perhaps I'm missing something but doesn't Apache hand off to PHP before
it looks at anything inside the file? Doesn't it hand it off at the fact
that the target is SomeFile.php. So the tag <?php4/5/6/X doesn't mean
anything since by the time the tag gets read it's already in PHP4 or 5
or 6. So the tags can't be used. On the other hand you COULD name the
files .php4, .php5 and set apache to pass .php4 files to php4 and .php5
files to php5..

I guess you're right. Different filenames would be more appropriate. Doing it with different tags is not impossible, but it would not be handled by 2 separate modules.

> You can already do this as far as I know.

I _would_ be able to do it if had my own server with full access to htconfig. But then I would just use PHP5, since it's so much better than 4. Moreover, separation is not encouraged by the language itself. There are de-facto standards, and handling 5 and 4 separately is not one of them. Why?