From: Al [mailto:news@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Sunday, October 09, 2005 3:50 PM
To: php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:  Mystery about chmod and permissions

I've got a script that checks a directory's permissions for 757 and if they
are not correct, chmods them with a cgi script.

That part works just fine.  Can alternately switch the permissions from 755
to 757 and back. I can use a ftp utility to check the permissions and they are correct.

The mystery is that I have a permissions check following the chmod and it
reports the permissions that existed before the change.

snippets:

include "http://$server/cgi-bin/chg_perms.cgi?name=$fp_name&perms=$fperms";;
//e.g., $fperms= 0757;

[I've tried sleep(10) here; doesn't help]

echo "Directory permissions for $dirname:  ". substr(sprintf('%o',
fileperms($dirname)), -3). "  //reports 0755;

If I run the script again with the same permissions, the report shows the
correct permissions.

It's as if permissions check code is executed before the chmod; but it
isn't. I've tried echoed the times for the chmod code and the permissions check and the chmod code is definitely before the
permissions check.

Anyone have an explanation.?

That did it.  Thanks....