Re: Linux/PHP and Windows/MSSQL

On 10/6/05, Rick Emery <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Knowing that I'm not the only one to want to connect to Microsoft SQL
> Server on Windows from PHP and Apache on Linux, I'm seeking advice.
>
> I set up a proof-of-concept application, using Gentoo Linux (with which
> I'm most familiar) as my base. Being a compile-from-source distribution
> with a lot of packages available, I simply had to set the "mssql" USE
> flag and emerge freetds and php. Voila; connectivity.
>
> Not surprisingly, now that my organization has decided to go with PHP
> on Linux, management wants to use a commercially supported distribution
> (Red Hat or Novell/SUSE). I was surprised to discover that I couldn't
> find RPMs for freetds, nor could I find php-mssql RPMs, and the php
> RPMs available in the yum repositories weren't compiled with
> --with-mssql.
>
> Is my only recourse to build freetds and php from source? I'm certainly
> capable of doing it, but I won't be the server administrator and I
> think it defeats what management wants to accomplish with a
> commercially supported distro (package management with easy updates).
>
> Is anybody in a similar environment that has an easy solution, or can
> anybody offer advice?

Being that you are already a Gentoo user you could use Portage to build your
RPMs for you. Not positive how to do this as I personally despise RPM but I
know it can be done. Check the man pages. " It is possible to create RPMs
(Redhat package manager files) using Gentoo's Portage, but it is not
currently possible to use already existing RPMs to install packages." (from
the Gentoo site).

-Mike

--
Michael E. Crute

Linux, because reboots are for installing hardware.
"In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?"