Re: HTML Header Location - relative URI issue

Jasper Bryant-Greene wrote:
Jaepil Kim wrote:

HTML 1.1 specifies that Location in HTML Header should be absolute URI.
Also says that some of the browsers will not work with relative URI.

Can anyone show me which browsers fail to work with *relative URI* in a
HTML Header Location?

I assume you mean HTTP 1.1, not HTML 1.1. IMHO the question you should be asking is why would you want to knowingly disobey the standard and send a relative URI? It's not exactly difficult to send an absolute URI in any circumstance I can think of.

There is no guarantee that future user agents will continue to work with your website if you do send a relative URI, as they are usually (albeit loosely) based around the standards, which require an absolute URI [1].

[1] http://w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.30

Thanks for the reply.

The situation is that I'm working with code that was written by someone else. And relative URIs were used all over the place.

I had to decide how serious this is, that's why I had to ask a rather stupid question.

Regards,

Jaepil