Intelligent "session_destroy()"

I'm writing a bunch of scripts that will all use a common session and am a bit confused about when to manually destroy sessions and/or when php automatically destroys them for me. For example:

If a user starts a session, leaves their computer on and goes home for the weekend, when they come back on Monday will their session still exist on the server? Could they pick right up where they left off?

Thanks

Ken