Unique ID on 5.0.4 (Windows)

Hi,

Pretty soon I'm going to be needing to generate a unique identifier in a script. I'm looking into how to go about doing it now.

It has to work on Apache 2 / PHP 5.0.4 (Module) / Windows 2000 Server.

Any suggestions on how I might be able to do it?

I've noticed the uuid PECL package, which looks like it could work for me, but I'm not sure it will work on Windows, or where to get it if it did.

I have access to Visual Studio 6, so I think I could compile it if I had to. Anyone have experience compiling PECL extensions on Windows?

I'd appreciate any help you could give me.

Thanks,
Chris