From: Murray @ PlanetThoughtful [mailto:lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 12:01 PM
To: 'Jim Moseby'; php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE:  Re: email validation (no regex)

>  >  What you have is virtually impossible to determine if all legitimate
> possibilities are covered.
>  >  email validation using regex is a very heavily analyzed subject
>  >  Google "regex email validate" and you'll find loads of expressions.
> Look at the Zend article, it provides some insight.
>
> I fully understand about the almost limitless possibilities. Googling the
> subject returns results more mind boggling than the regex itself.  :o)  Do
> ANY of the regex examples you have found cover all those possibilities?
> If
> so, why are there so many different approaches?  For most applications,
> where you will only be validating a small number of emails in a given day,
> why put yourself to all the regex pain, still to not have covered all the
> possibilities?
>
> In the end, with regards to email validation, all most people need is to
> know that a given email has a proper username, just 1 '@' in the middle,
> and
> a valid domain.  If it doesn't, its a bogus email address.

As to that, why not validate the email address by sending an automated
message to the supplied account, requiring the person to click on a
validation link? Easy, simple, works better than either method currently
being discussed, purely for its simplicity, if nothing else.

Much warmth,

Murray
---
"Lost in thought..."