FW: email validation (no regex)

(private email forwarded to list)
-----Original Message-----
From: replies-lists-php@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 2:19 PM
To: Jim Moseby
Subject: Re:  email validation (no regex)

There's no requirement for an MX-record, so you'd need to check the
A-record ($domain) too.

This approach is likely extremely resource and time intensive. So, in
my view, not something that you'd really want to do while the user is
"holding on the line".

  - Rick

---------- End Original Message ----------

Excellent answer.  No requirement for MX record?

[showing my ignorance]
How does email routing happen if there is no mail exchanger in the zonefile
for a particular domain?
[/ignorance]

"Time and resource intensive" is the only down-side I have been able to
think of.  Even though it should run very quickly, I have no control over
internet lag, load on the SMTP server, etc.  Doing it this way places all
those variables out of my control. A definate downside.

JM