Re: [Off] How much time should this take?

Brian Dunning wrote:
I got a 12-hour invoice from a consultant who was tasked to do the following:

There are people that can do it faster ... then again it seems about right
given the time it takes to customize, tweak and secure allsorts of things...

I might add tho that a 'professional' might consider swapping his copy
of RedHat for a some fresh horse manure and using Debian or somesuch instead
(horse manure can be put to good use in the garden). Debian won't save you
any time but it sure runs faster/safer imho) ;-)

John Nichel's points are all good ones.

never forget that it's very easy to 'lose' a day or more because a machine
configuration is 'playing up' - I remember at my company losing _lots_ of
time trying to get Squid & Apache to play nice (inc SSL) so that the 'web logs'
(from which [webalizer] statistics were generated) were complete/accurate...
and that was just the webserver request logging!

so if the box does what you want, is fast and secure ... then you have a fair deal
me thinks (well it depends what he charges per hour - $1000/hour is extortion ;-).

- Install a Red Hat machine from absolute scratch for PHP/MySQL/Apache

- Copy over some MySQL databases

- Have mod_rewrite working via htaccess, and have wildcard DNS

I realize there are a billion different variables - I don't know specifically what distribution he used, or any other variables - but what are the chances that his invoice is reasonable? Assume that he should know what he's doing without having to learn anything. Thanks...