Re: Re: [Off] How much time should this take?

On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 15:33 -0400, John Nichel wrote:
> The OS install will take between 1 - 3 hours, depending on the machine.
>   Setting up mod_rewrite to work via .htaccess is simple; compile it in,
> and make sure it's allowed to work via .htaccess in the httpd.conf.  Not
> really sure what the OP meant by wildcard DNS, but if it was just
> *.mydomain.com, the zone file nor the Apache config are all that tough.
>   Copying over DB's...fast as the machine can copy.  These are all the
> easy, quick tasks.
>
> Building Apache/PHP can take some time depending on what you want
> included.  Vanilla installs of the two I can do in under 30 minutes, but
> once you start including modules, you may or may not have to install
> other software to meet the dependencies of those modules.  Then there's
> whether or not he wants SSL, mm, or other modules in Apache.  And we
> haven't even touched on init scripts, or security...that's all part of
> getting this stuff up and running.  No offense, but if someone's doing
> this in 6 hours, I would be worried about the job not being complete.

This is not Windows we are talking about where you have to wait for each
reboot. And then reboot again and again after patching. I can do a full
Fedora Core 4/SuSe Pro 9.3/SuSe Enterprise 9 install in under and hour.
Add another 30 minutes for updates, due to my T1 slow download speeds.

I've been following this and I can say for a fact this could be done in
6 hours or less. And guarantee a secure server. How do I know? Because I
build these configurations almost daily. If you get stuck with init
scripts there's something wrong. Maybe you should man "chkconfig".

Brad Dameron
Senior Systems Administrator
SeaTab Software