Re: [Off] How much time should this take?

On 9/16/05, John Nichel <john@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Brian Dunning wrote:
> > I got a 12-hour invoice from a consultant who was tasked to do the
> > following:
> >
> > - Install a Red Hat machine from absolute scratch for PHP/MySQL/Apache
> >
> > - Copy over some MySQL databases
> >
> > - Have mod_rewrite working via htaccess, and have wildcard DNS
> >
> > I realize there are a billion different variables - I don't know
> > specifically what distribution he used, or any other variables - but
> > what are the chances that his invoice is reasonable? Assume that he
> > should know what he's doing without having to learn anything. Thanks...
> >

> Sounds about right.  I just set up a box Tuesday....took me about 9
> hours.  Installed RHEL 3.0 AS, Apache 1.3.x, PHP 4.4.0, mod_perl, MySQL
> 4.0.x, CVS, etc. from scratch.  Wednesday I took about 4 hours tweaking
> and locking down the box before I put it on the network.
>
> --
> John C. Nichel
> ÜberGeek
> KegWorks.com
> 716.856.9675
> john@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> --

Well, we just had a box with a fresh install using
http://www.centos.org/ .. it cost about $500 to have someone do it for
us.. centos is redhat, apache & mysql and a bunch of other stuff...
now that i know what was used, i probably would just do it myself...
not to say that i could have done the install as fast

--
Joe Harman
---------