To: "Nicolas Ross" <rossnick-lists@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2005 10:46 AM
Subject: Re:  php Slow with Mac OS X 10.4

There are two thing to check in the Apache config to make sure DNS is not the thing slowing you down. HostnameLookups defaults to On in Apache2, but defaulted to off in Apache1. Check that setting.

Also, if you use Allow and Deny directives with domain names, Apache does a double reverse triple lindy DNS lookup (or something like that). That would slow things down alot, but not affect ssh, ftp, etc.

Regardless, my guess is it's something with Apache2 that is causing the slow down. Have you tried Apache1.3 under 10.4? I haven't experienced any performance slow down under 10.4 using 1.3.