RE: trying to figure out the best/efficient way to tell whoisloggedinto a site..

ben...

i understand what you've stated, but i was under the impression that a
number of sites (etrade, etc...) can/do track who is/is not logged into
their sites.. and not just by some crude 'timeout' function...

i might be wrong, but it was my understanding that those kinds of sites have
the ability to more or less know when someone kills the browser session, and
is no longer on the system. these kinds of sites also ustilize some form of
a 'timeout' process as well for users who simply have browser sessions that
are inactive...

by your statements, you're pretty much saying that the only approach one has
to this issue is to utilize some sort of timeout function, and if you don't
detect user activity after your timeout, then mark the user as no longer
being active, and proceed accordingly. this apporach doesn't allow an app to
immediately know when a user has killed the browser.

so, the question might be, how does one detect when a user has killed a
session/left your app?

-bruce