From: Jim Moseby [mailto:JMoseby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, September 12, 2005 8:56 AM
To: 'bedouglas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'; php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE:  confirmation email script/code

> has anybody come across a really good 'open source' chunk of code for
> sending/recieving confirmation emails from an app... i'd like
> to allow the
> user to register, and send them an email that they then have
> to hit the link
> to complete the process..

It is strightforward to write this yourself.  In my simple example, I
generate a 32 byte random ID when the user registers and save it along with
his data in the DB. Then, I send him an email with a link like this:

www.example.com/register.php?id=7H7dh869ha320J6GhAs89L0lJ00j09df?action=conf
irm

When he clicks the link, I flip a flag in his DB record that he has
confirmed.

I have cron periodically go and clean up unconfirmed records that have timed
out.

JM