From: Murray @ PlanetThoughtful [mailto:lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2005 2:03 AM
To: php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: PHP wiki recommendations

Hi All,

I want to add a wiki to my blog site to help create a knowledgebase of
the characters, localities, stories I write to make it easier for new
visitors to delve into the areas that interest them.

I've been experimenting with a couple of different wiki packages, but am
always interested in others' thoughts and recommendations.

In particular, I've looked at MediaWiki and PmWiki. Of the two, I like
MediaWiki's 'completeness', but it's also quite slow and doesn't strike
me as being particularly (or easily?) customizable. PmWiki is probably
my current candidate, but again I'd like to make sure I'm not missing a
more obvious choice.

My shopping list for the ideal wiki application is:

- wiki entries preferably stored in MySQL tables. I'm not adamant about
this (eg PmWiki uses files rather than a db backend), but it would suit
my purposes better to be able to draw from the wiki tables from the
front page of my blog to show lists of recently added and recently
updated wiki entries

- non-reliance on CamelCase wiki links. Many of my characters etc use
joined CamelCase names (eg KillFork and DangerSpoon), and to avoid
confusion I'd rather explicitly define links to wiki content

- ability to categorize wiki entries

- ability to compare history of wiki edits and easily reinstate older
edits if wiki pages get 'graffiti'd'

- ability to allow others to edit / create wiki entries, thru a user id
/ password system, so that regulars who would like to participate can do
so

- ability to customize presentation of wiki pages, presumably through
CSS etc, so that I can maintain the 'look and feel' of my blog thru the
wiki content

- PHP based, though my host does run Perl, so if the killer wiki app is
a Perl-based one, I'm sure I can muddle thru implementing it

If anyone has any recommendations for other wiki applications I should
look at before making a decision, I'd love to hear from you!

Much warmth,

Murray
---
"Lost in thought..."
http://www.planetthoughtful.org
This e-mail message has been sent by Kollsman, Inc. and is for the use
of the intended recipients only. The message may contain privileged
or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient
you are hereby notified that any use, distribution or copying of
this communication is strictly prohibited, and you are requested to
delete the e-mail and any attachments and notify the sender immediately.