Re: Sessions, Constructors, and Destructors - Oh my!

Or you can save the the session in the database [ works good for me ] Sharing the cookie is easy when you have multiple boxes on the same tld [ or FQDN ]

Evert

Dan Trainor wrote:

Nathan Tobik wrote:
I've never looked into some of the open-source load balancing solutions,
but I know they exist are are out there.  The F5's I mentioned are
probably around $20k each, and you need two obviously, so if you're on a
limited budget those are not the solution for you.  I'd google for open
source load balancer.  I know OpenBSD has some failover capacity through
something called CARP, but I'm not sure how that would work with your
solution.

Nate Tobik
(412)661-5700 x206
VigilantMinds

Thanks for the reply, Nathan -

Are there any such interfaces that are software-based?  I think that
Jasper's suggestion would be the most feasable, but I'd still like to
know my options.

In my mind, hardware immediately equates to $$$, whereas software
immediately does not.

Thanks
-dant

Nathan -

Sure, I know of some load balancing software, but I do not know of any
that support sticky sessions out of the box.

BTW, how are these sessions passed?  Is this a client-server approach,
where the LB accepts the session data and uses a proxy to forward them
to the load balanced machine, or does the load balancer do it's thing at
perhaps Layer 2, and completely forwards the connection to the LB'd server?

Thanks!
-dant