Re: AW: php5 COM strange behaviour

keep it on list please. I'm not free personal debugging system ;-)

Marc Staiger wrote:
we have a script to create a word-document via COM which, so far, run pretty stable under php 4.3.7

are you using apache2 with php4?

Yes !

Sorry - my mistake here : the problems are caused under PHP5. With PHP4 the

I still thinks it smells like a threading problem.

I think you're right!
also read here (it might help):
http://www.pointer.gr/free_docs/php_manual_en/html/install.win
dows.apache2.html

I found that one last night when browsing for the "prefork"-Apache. It says: "We do not recommend using a threaded MPM in production with
Apache2. Use the prefork MPM instead.."

But HOW can I use/deploy/configure/.. this prefork-Version under Windows? Is
it a configuration-thing or do we have to compile our own version?

you have to compile it in - but probably you can download a readybuilt
binary for windows....

also read this if you have not already:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mpm.html

also search this list a couple of weeks back and you'll find a post (by Rasmus) that explains how to run a second webserver using ProxyPass ... follow it and setup a second Apache - this time Apache1.3+php5 and determine whether the problem goes away if you use that.

Funny Idea. I thought about installing two versions of PHP (4 and 5)
simultaneously :-) ... But that's all "fighting the symptoms". I'd rather
trace the problem back to it's origin and resolve it there.

running 2 versions of php is a great way to test a codebase you
are trying to move from 4 to 5.

script runs fine, so right now we are using PHP4, but due to other functionality we're forced to migrate to PHP5 pretty soon.

ok but I bet you don't _have_ to use apache2. (hoping for you that apache1.3 does the trick)

Probably we can work with 1.3, but that doesn't sound progressive to me.

'sound progressive' ??? why upgrade something that works? which runs faster?
does apache2 have functionality you can't get elsewhere?

test this stuff and decide based on hard facts - upgrades are not always wanted
or required, this is IT not fashion/marketing ;-)

Thanks again !