RE: PHP vs. ColdFusion

Quoting Jim Moseby <JMoseby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Can they access other (non-php) pages on that server during one of these
failures?

No. I wrote an ASP page that displays the same data with the same refresh rate. When the PHP app fails, the ASP page is also inaccessible. I thought this proved it wasn't a PHP problem, but management was unconvinced that PHP didn't somehow taint IIS and cause the problem.

Can they PING the server?

Yes, which (in my mind) points to an IIS issue. I don't have the proper knowledge of Windows or IIS to troubleshoot it, but one of my co-workers has a theory about Windows and its dynamic routing tables.

Have your network people had a look at a packet capture from the network
during one of the failures?  If they did, they would see what was happening.

I've discussed this with the network administator. That's going to be one of our troubleshooting steps going forward.

The fact that you say it is ONLY the padcom clients is enlightening because
it means this is not a server failure, but a failure somewhere in between or
at the client itself.  In any case, I don't think your boss's requirement
that whatever language is chosen must run on IIS (ack!) is violated, because
PHP runs quite nicely on thousands (I'm sure) of IIS servers.

Agreed.

JM

"Windows: 32-bit extensions and a graphic shell for a 16-bit patch to an
8-bit OS originally coded for a 4-bit CPU, written by a 2-bit company that
can't stand 1-bit of competition."

My co-workers and I had a good laugh over this signature :-)

Thanks,
Rick
--
Rick Emery