Mac OS X file name encoding problem

Hi all,

I have a problem with a script when it is runs on a Mac OS X environment.

a part of this script simply takes an upoloaded temporary file and writes it on the local system using ftp functions.

something like:

$filename = $TheNameToAssignToTheFile;
$ftps = ftp_connect($ftpaddress);
$ris = ftp_login($ftps,$ftpuser,$ftppassword);
$fi = fopen($_FILES['file']['tmp_name'],"rb");
ftp_fput($ftps,$filename,$fi,FTP_BINARY);
fclose($fi);

The problem appears when $filename contains special characters, like accented chars, on Mac OS X the ftp_fput function returns me an error.

I thinked that the problem could depend on the filesystem encoding, that on Mac OS X is Unicode, so I tryied this before:

$filename = utf8_encode($filename);

this way I have no more an error, but the file name of the uploaded file results anyway corrupted with strange chars.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

        Giulio