Re: Looking for CMS advice

On Mon, August 22, 2005 3:48 am, Erik Gyepes wrote:
> Zachary Kessin wrote:
>
>> I am about to start on a project that seems like it would be right
>> for
>> a CMS system. It will be about 80% rather boring stuff with about
>> 20%
>> custom database work. I have looked at XOOPS and a few others.
>> However
>> I can not seem to find one rather important thing about XOOPS. I
>> understand how to use a module that someone else wrote, but I have
>> not
>> found any documentation on how to build my own blocks or application
>> components.
>>
>> I am not yet committed to XOOPS, so if there is different system
>> that
>> would be better that could work as well

There is a pretty cool site "out there" that lets you kick the tires
on a BUNCH of different PHP/MySQL CMS products/projects.

opencms.org or something like that.

I always have a tough time finding it with Google and whatnot, but
it's there.

Anyway, they basically installed a couple dozen CMS systems, and you
can set yourself up with your own sandbox install on THEIR server with
just a click of a button, then administer it and play with it, and
then they wipe it out in about 2 hours.

So you get a chance to play with it to see if you like each CMS, and
you've got 2 hours to check it out -- Or more, since you can start
over with a new sandbox.  They just don't want you to try to run your
site through theirs.

I doubt that it will actually let you write/upload arbitrary PHP for
the missing 20%, but they MIGHT have some examples or user comments on
their site on these issues, and at least you can play with the 80% to
see if the features you need for that part are there.

HTH

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm