would assume, that it is mainly a wrapper for the C MySQL API.

Do you know how to interact with this database in any other language
such as C, Perl, Java etc?

I don't know much about prolog, but a look at www.swi-prolog.org
suggests that it has a two-way C interface. You'd exploit this, by
writing a php Extension in C(see PHP manual), that would interact with
 your prolog app, using the two-way C/C++ interface.

I don't know Prolog, nor anything about it, except that it seems to be
a functional programming language, so take these comments in that
reference frame.