SUPPORT FOR INTERACTION WITH A DATABASE

Hi,

I am creating a Shell in prolog language that interacts with a Visual Prolog
database format in Win32, I would like to interact with this database with
PHP, just like the interaction with MySQL database, can you give me some
notion or the code that need to be executed to get this done? for example
in:

mysql_connect

or

mysql_create_db

what code is executed behind this functions?

I think the functions to make this done should be execute some function that
run an .EXE, passes values and receive values from the shell

any idea?