[really O T] Re: [PHP] Catching all errors and redirecting O T

Jay Blanchard wrote:
[snip]
What is the point of taking this attitude with a poster who (I'm
guessing
from his name) is a non-native English speaker? He asks a perfectly
polite,
intelligible and on-topic question. Even if he isn't a good proportion
of

the question was VAGUE ... this is IT not sociology ...
questions that start 'is it possible' are pretty much asking for a 'yes.'
or a 'maybe.'

if the OP takes the hint and develops his ability to succinctly ask questions
(one that don't implicitly ask someone else to provide a complete solution to
a very general problem!!) then everyone benefits - him most of all.

besides getting the equivelant of a RTFM is kinding telling the OP, your
not a total noob anymore, time to fend for yourself - he could take it as a compliment ;-).

posters are non-native speakers, and I imagine they find this kind of
thing
a little intimidating.

I know people who find it intimidating to sit in a room alone or go to
the supermarket. feeling intimidated is a state of mind but not anyone's
intention here (AFAICT)

[/snip]

Yes, I suppose your are correct. His english was remarkably well written
so I did not suspect that he was foreign and I didn't even look at the
e-mail address for the reply.

the guy is german - most germans speak/write better english people do.
just like they build better cars. ;-) so no pity for [male] germans. :-P

	_only joking_

The point is this, as more and more folks take to mailing lists such as
this there are good practices and bad practices. We all need to learn
good practices, like avoiding top-posting.

You have exercized your right to point out what may be a bad practice,
me answering the OP in a sarcastic tone is a bad thing. You taking me on
for same is a bad thing, especially when you do not mark the subject as
now being off topic, such as I have done. How long have you been mailing
to mailing lists?

I suppose that the good old days are long gone. The ones where newbies
were whipped into shape with just a few keystrokes. I guess we need to

keep wipin' Jay! - they love you for it in the end :-) besides there is lots
of work to do if we want to drag the masses forward (e.g. praise the day that
there will be no more questions regarding register_globals!)

be more politically correct and sensitive to the needs of others now. In
the spirit of this I will refrain from answering the "is it possible"
questions. Heck I may not answer any others either as my old school
cumrudgeonly attitude may be too much for others, especially those folks
who do not hail from english speaking countries.

now look what you have done Mark!

My apologies to any and all who were offended by my curt response.

since when are you called Curt? ;-)