Re: Custom session handling - bad or good idea?

This can be a fine way to go, given that you have a specific reason to
do so that is not easily handled by using session_set_save_handler.
The most common session handler in use (besides the default handler)
is a DB session handler.  You could write this handler in C and it
would possibly be worth the effort.  Caching DB connections in a
shared module could give you a nice performance boost (although I have
no idea how stable a setup like that would be, usual caveats about
multi-threaded servers would apply).

Hope this helps.