LDAP, PHP and MS Active Directory

Apologies if this turns out to be a cross-post. I sent it to the list @
evolt, but have seen no traffic on that list for two days now.

Hello

I am using PHP v5 to write an intranet. The site is hosted on a windows 2000
server running Apache. I want to incorporate some form of Windows
authentication to allow or deny access to given resources based on usernames
and group membership.

I am trying to accomplish this using LDAP. I am able to connect and bind to
our Active Directory server (also Windows 2000) from PHP, but when I want to
perform a search, I need to know what the base record is. This is in the
format o=my company, c=the country it is in.

This is where the problem lies. How do I find out this information? Is there
some facility in Active Directory that allows me to see what the actual
name-values are for all the records (like sn=rees)?

The line of code causing the problem is this: $ds is a bound connection to
the LDAP server
$sr=ldap_search($ds, "o=company name, c=uk", "sn=g*");

It returns "Operations error"

Thanks in advance

Mark

--