Initiating cronjobs from PHP?

Hi all,

I have a requirement for initiating tasks from my site that requires
long processing times, i.e. uploading/downloading some files to remote
nodes. And, to avoid timeouts and hence to be able to provide instant
away), I was thinking about handling this with cronjobs, i.e. when I
get this request, I will insert an entry into the crontab with exact
time information (which is like 2 minutes from current time) and
return the response to the user right away, and the task will be
invoked right away (again 2 minutes from that time) by the cron
daemon...

Do you think this is a viable approach? Can you guys recommend a
better way of handling this?

Thanks,