Re: Is gethostbyaddr() slow?

I can say from personal experience that gethostbyaddr() and gethostbyname() can seem almost randomly slow, depending on machine, OS, software, who knows. I'm not smart enough to figure out the reason why it can vary so much on machines with nearly the same configuration, but I can tell you that it works perfectly fast most of the time. Then there's that other 5% where something makes it slow as molasses.

I have two machines that are so similar it's not funny, but gethostbyname() takes 1/10 s on one, and 5 s on the other. I have yet to figure out what's the difference between them that causing this.

kgt

Dotan Cohen wrote:

Hi all, I just discovered the gethostbyaddr() function. By reading the
user contributed notes, I get the impression that either this function
may cause performance problems, or a user-contributed function based
upon it may be slow. So, is gethostbyaddr() slow? Is it dangerous?
Thanks!

Dotan Cohen
http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/56/bangles.php
The Bangles Song Lyrics