Re: Message check then post

disguised.jedi@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

On 8/3/05, George B <geoizil@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am coding a message board. I am about done. I have all the forms
needed for the message. So it all works out. The user types in his name,
 message title, and the message itself. Then clicks submit. The Submit
button takes him to the message check. The message check shows all the
stuff the user entered. Then it has "echo" which says 'Is this correct'?
And then there is a button. "Yes" When the user clicks yes it goes to
another PHP file which runs the SQL query to put in the entereddata into
the database
$query = "INSERT INTO forum (user,name,message) VALUES
('$username','$name','$message')";
$result = mysql_query($query);

But see, the problem is that it is entering blanks into the DB. I think
that is because the $username $name and $message are in the other file?
I have no idea how to by-pass this problem. What should I do?
Use hidden form values.  You have displayed the data along with your
"is this OK?" message, so in that file, do this...

<form name="message" action="see [1] below" method="post">
<input type="hidden" name="user" value="<?php echo $username; ?>">
<input type="hidden" name="name" value="<?php echo $name; ?>">
<input type="hidden" name="message" value="<?php echo $message; ?>">

The "Is this OK?" stuff goes here.

<input type="submit" value="Yes, post it!">
<input type="button" value="No, take me back!"
onClick="window.location.href='see[2] below'">
</form>

[1] - The page with the database code goes here.
[2] - The previous page goes here.

This will stick the form values back inside a form which will be
posted to the next page.  The user can't see or edit them.  Hidden
form values are very useful, I'd recommend you take a closer look at
them!

Hope that helps!

No, this does not work