Message check then post

I am coding a message board. I am about done. I have all the forms needed for the message. So it all works out. The user types in his name, message title, and the message itself. Then clicks submit. The Submit button takes him to the message check. The message check shows all the stuff the user entered. Then it has "echo" which says 'Is this correct'? And then there is a button. "Yes" When the user clicks yes it goes to another PHP file which runs the SQL query to put in the entereddata into the database $query = "INSERT INTO forum (user,name,message) VALUES ('$username','$name','$message')";
$result = mysql_query($query);

But see, the problem is that it is entering blanks into the DB. I think that is because the $username $name and $message are in the other file? I have no idea how to by-pass this problem. What should I do?