Re: Access and PHP

Just looked into this recently and here's a brief rundown of what I've found:

1. If you run PHP on a non-Windows system, your only option seems to be making a connection to a remote ODBC data source (hosted on a Windows machine presumably).  There was something..err..  ODBTP (?) that would work on linux to connect to remote ODBC connections

If you run PHP on a Windows server, then you have the following options:

2. ODBC connection via DSN
3. DSNLess connection (you can do this with a DB abstraction layer like ADODB)
4. COM connection (requires Access be installed on the server and, in my opinion, is the worst solution out of the group due to it's resource use)

There doesn't appear to be a good direct way to read Access files on a linux machine.  I may have come across a commercial Access driver ($$$) for linux, but can't remember.  If I did, I would have dismissed it fairly quickly as 'free' is more my budget right now :)

If you need links to the stuff above, let me know and I'll try to dig up some.  I also have a script I wrote using WinBinder and ADODB on a Windows box to hit an Access database, pull data, scrub it, then insert it into a MySQL database via ODBC.

-TG