Re: DAO/VO Pattern Help

Hello,

on 07/13/2005 01:28 PM Jed R. Brubaker said the following:
As I am trying to take my PHP code in a more enterprise direction with strict model/logic/view layers, I have been working with DAOs and the matching VOs.

So I am running into a problem that I could really use some direction on: DAO/VO works great with single tables, but I tend to make my database work for its existance, and joins ar eeverywhere. What I don't understand is how to approach DAO/VO when table joins are involved.

Can anyone think of some good resources?

You may want to take a look at Metastorage. It is a mature Object-Relational mapping (ORM) code generation tool.

It lets you design the classes of your application persistent objects using a simple XML format that defines the class variables, relationships, validation rules and define the types of functions that you want to manipulate the objects.

Then it generates the ORM classes, classes to install or update your database schema, so you do not have to hand code SQL.

It also supports an Object Query Language (OQL) that lets you define search expressions that are converted into efficient SQL to let your search and retrieve persistent objects that satisfy a given condition, all without writing a single line of SQL.

Here you may find more about it:

Screenshots of the Web interface:

http://www.meta-language.net/screenshots.html

A tutorial: