Re: Missing or wrong reply-to headers in this mailing list

Alan Milnes wrote:
> Chris W. Parker wrote:
>
>> This has come up many times in the past and so far it has not changed.
>> Just hit the Reply to All button and you'll be fine.
>>

> The problem with that is that people then get a personal message *and *a
> list message.  Why can't this group be set up properly so reply goes to
> the list as with virtually every other mailing list I am part of?

Please search the archives for the complete and authoritative answer to
that.  The short version is that munging the reply-to header is
technically incorrect and from a usability point of view it errors on
the side of exposing someone's potentially private email.  It's easy to
resend a message that was mailed privately by mistake.  It is very hard
to fix a private message that was sent to the list by mistake.

And with a decent MTA you can remove duplicates.  With procmail you do this:

:0 Whc: msgid.lock
| formail -D 16384 msgid.cache
:0 a:
duplicates

Or dev/null it if you prefer.  Just because all the other lists you are
on do it that way doesn't necessarily make them right.  Probably just
means the lists aren't very technical.  Most of the lists I am on get it
right.

-Rasmus