RE: Re: Strange notation to create object

On 24 June 2005 15:03, Jason Barnett wrote:

> Robert Cummings wrote:
> >

> > There's a difference between a reference to a reference and a copy
> > of a reference *hehehe*.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Rob.
>
> Dear diary: jackpot!
>
> Now that makes sense.  And am I correctly filling in the
> blanks when I
> guess that $foo3 = $aObj is merely copying the reference instead of
> referencing the reference?  I probably could have written that more
> clearly, but I think you get what I'm saying.

When the new PHP 5 behaviour was first being touted around, I remember
it being explained that PHP 5 would use object _handles_ where PHP4
used the objects themselves.  This is sort of analogous to (database)
resource handles, or file handles, where what you get is a proxy for
the actual thing.

So Rob's statement would end up talking about a reference to a handle
and a copy of a handle, which may help to make more sense out of what's
going on!

Cheers!

Mike

Headingley Campus, LEEDS,  LS6 3QS,  United Kingdom
Email: m.ford@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx