Re: Changing directory permissions???

Steve Buehler wrote:
At 02:13 PM 7/11/2005, you wrote:

Philip Hallstrom wrote:

Is there a way to change directory permissions with pre php5.0? Linux/Apache

I'm designing a CM application and would like my code to enable non-techies to be able to create a simple text file. [e.g., directory temporarilly from 755 to 757 and then back again.]

PHP5.0 has a chmod; but not, 4.3.x

Huh?  chmod has been around since V3...
http://us2.php.net/chmod
chmod
(PHP 3, PHP 4, PHP 5)
chmod -- Changes file mode

The key word is "directory"

chmod only works for files

PHP5 has a ftp_chmod; but not 4.3.x

Chmod does NOT "only" work for files. Not sure about pre 4.1.2, but from 4.1.2 and up, it appears that on a linux/unix system, php's chmod treats directories like they where files....for the most part. My php code did not make the directory, but was run by the user that did make the directory. Yes, I can see where there would be a problem if the directory was created by one user and the php script was executed by another user....like "apache". But in the case where a user created a file with certain permissions and the script was run by another user, like apache, then it is understandable that php's chmod wouldn't work on it. That doesn't mean that php's chmod will only work on files. It only means that it has to have permission on the file to make the changes.

Steve
Thanks for the clarification Steve.....