Re: using require

On Sat, 2005-05-14 at 19:34 -0700, Richard Lynch wrote:
> On Fri, October 14, 2005 11:33 am, Cima said:
> > i have my web site working something like this: in every php script i have
> > require(auth.php). this auth.php has my connection to my postgresql server
> > and database along with some other stuff i need for the user to be
> > authenticated to my web site. when i log on, this auth.php connects to the
> > dbserver and checks if my username and password are stored and then i go
> > to a home page. my connection is stored in $dbh.
> > what happens when i start moving through all these web pages (php
> > scripts), each requires auth.php, with respect to the connection? is a new
> > connection established for every web page i go into that uses my $dbh for
> > querying purposes or is it the same connection i originally made when i
> > first logged into the web site?
>
> You'll get a new connection on each page.
>
> Which is good, because database connections CANNOT be shared across page
> hits.
>
> If you use _pconnect, you can get a "refurbished" connection from the
> database instead of a truly new one.  But there are "gotchas" with that,
> and I wouldn't recommend you jump into that without a lot more
> research/experience.
>
> I would suggest, however, that you put the database connection in a
> totally separate file from the auth.php, and require them separately.
>
> You may find more uses for your database some day, maybe even for pages
> that do NOT require authentication, and you'll more easily do that if you
> can just do:
> <?php require 'db_connect.php';?>
>
> For the pages that need authentication, you'd do:
> <?php
>   require 'db_connect.php';
>   require 'auth.php';
> ?>
-- Better yet:
file auth.php:
        require_once 'db_connect.php';

Ever since discovering the [require|include]_once I have wondered how I
managed before...

Hope this helps
-- Jeff

--
Jeffrey D. Means                                   meaje@xxxxxxxxxxx
Owner / CIO for MeansPC                       http://www.meanspc.com/

- The stupidity of a stupid person is exercised in a restricted
field; the stupidity of an intelligent individual has a much broader
diffusion, and far greater effect, aided  as it is by the element
of surprise.

- WTO + WIPO = DMCA? http://www.anti-dmca.org
- Fight Internet Censorship! http://www.eff.org
= This is not about Napster or DVDs. It's about your Freedom.
http://www.anti-dmca.org

My Public PGP Key ID is: 0x81F00126
and available via:
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x81F00126