Re: who can do this without the recursion

Documented research indicate that on Tue, 5 Jul 2005 14:07:21 -0700 (PDT),
"Richard Lynch" wrote:

> You'd think having done a zillion of these in my Grad School days would
> have made more of an impression...
>
> Mostly it impressed me that recursion wasn't "cool" -- just another "tool"
> and one that you only should pull out 1% of the time.

When we learned about recursion it took our teacher 15 minutes to come up
with an example for what the heck it was good for ... and it wasn't even a
good one (can't remember what it was).

I only use recursion when I need to output data stored in a tree format
(you know, each child has a parent, each parent can have multiple
children), otherwise I don't really know what to use recursion for.

Mostly I have database queries where the results are built into 2-3 D
arrays, and then used as the data the recursions work from ... found it to
be the only way doing those trees fast when the data is variable and stored
in a database...
--
Rene Brehmer
aka Metalbunny

We have nothing to fear from free speech and free information on the
Internet, but pop-up advertising!

http://metalbunny.net/
My little mess of things...