Re: Weird Image Problem

On Wed, June 29, 2005 3:30 pm, Shane Little said:
> I'm bin2hex'ing images from an upload script and inserting into a mysql
> blob field.  The php script that re-packs the hex data back to binary,
> does the createimagefromstring() and streams the image to the browser is
> generating a corrupted image... i.e. The image looks fine until part-way
> down... then... no more image; just a gray background where the rest of
> the image should be.  Seems to happen on image any larger than 30 or so
> kilobytes.  Anybody working the the php image libraries seen this before?

Storing images inside MySQL is almost always a Bad Idea in the first place...

I'll assume you know that, and have good reason to not use the super-fast,
custom-optimized large-data software specifically designed to handle your
images. *

First, check that MySQL blob fields are not limited to 32K somehow. I
suspect that they are.

Next, one has to wonder why use bin2hex?  Yes, it should generate only
0-9a-f characters, which are all valid for MySQL, but surely that is not
the best way to do this... I don't store images in MySQL, so don't KNOW
what is the best way, but I'm putting money down right now that bin2hex
ain't the best way.

* the super-fast, custom-optimized large-data software specifically
designed to handle your images is known as...   The File System. :-)

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm