Re: Sybase and PHP

> Does anyone know how to build PHP with sybase support without having a
> sybase server running on the local machine

Joe,
You can access Sybase with PHP by using the FreeTDS libraries. You don't need to install anything from Sybase on the webserver you mention.

Get FreeTDS from http://www.freetds.org/ (you might even find an RPM for your system at http://ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/ALPHA/freetds/stable/redhat/RPMS/).

You'll need to define data sources for your sybase db in the FreeTDS config files. Check the FreeTDS docs for that. You won't be able to connect via PHP if your data sources aren't configured correctly.

Recompile PHP with "--with-sybase=/usr/local/freetds" (or wherever you installed FreeTDS). You should then be able to use the sybase_* functions to connect to your Sybase system on another machine. As an added bonus, I think you can also use the sybase functions to connect to a MSSQL server (or vice versa if you compile PHP with "--with-mssql=/usr/local/freetds").

- Jamie

After looking through sybase.com and coming up with nothing I thought
it might be better to see if anyone has already been down this road:

I've got a very old laptop with a tiny little hard drive with very
little free space on it. It's being used as a 'rogue' intranet server
and doing a suprisingly good job of it. Right now we are needing to
access one of the company's sybase servers to retrieve customer data,
but I don't think we can afford the extra space needed to install too
much extra on this poor thing.

Does anyone know how to build PHP with sybase support without having a
sybase server running on the local machine.....or for that matter does
anyone know how to install an ODBC driver for the same setup? I'm
willing to accept information on either one at this point.

It's running rh7.3 w/ php 5 and apache 2. Any help at all would be
very much appreciated.