Re-inserting newlines

Hi all.

I have searched for a way to figure out this problem, but nothing is popping up. Here's the scenario:

I have a form which I will write to a database - so I escape the form content. I have a <textarea></textarea> in the form. Obviously, people can type whatever they want to in this textarea, including newlines. Ok, I know how to escape the content to put it in the database - but if there is an error on the page, I want to redirect back to the page and correct their stuff.

So they have in one of the textareas:

--- start here ---
This is a line in the text area.

This is a line a couple of lines down in the text area.
--- end here ---

If I print the stuff back out to screen, it reads:

--- start here ---
This is a line in the text area.\r\n\r\nThis is a line a couple of lines down in the text area.
--- end here ---

Anyone know how/what to replace the \r\n in the textarea to that it shows up correctly with the actual newlines, not the \r\n???

Thanks in advance,
~Philip