Re: Uploading and verifying word and excel files

Jack Jackson wrote:
<snip>
Also, it seems that directories must be blown wide open (777) to allow the script to copy the file over from /tmp. My ISP won't allow directories to be set to 777 under public_html/ -- but we need to access the files via web browser which is the whole point.

It shouldn't have to be this way. The webserver should be configured to run as your virtual user, or belong to a group which has write permission to that directory, or.....I'm getting a bit off track with that. This is something you'll have to take up with your ISP.

So my questions:
1. How do you validate Word and Excel files before upload?

Before? JavaScript...if JavaScript can even do it (I haven't touched the stuff in ages). After upload, you can check the mime type, but that's not foolproof.

2. How can I make a passthrough from a file above public_html to one below it so that people can surf in with a browser and download files which have been uploaded by the script?

http://us4.php.net/move_uploaded_file

--
John C. Nichel
ÜberGeek