Re: undefined mysql_connect() ???

With the fedora core 3 apache/php RPM packages im sure php is loaded statically instead of dynamically, that would be the reason why the loadModule directive is not in httpd.conf, in my setup apache was not compiled with --enable-so i tried upgrading the PHP version but found having to recompile, my experience with fedora is most modules come enabled by default with apache, however im sure i had to install php-mysql module

Could try - yum install php-mysql

If its not already

Frank Whitsell wrote:

Sheesh, the electric power has just been off for almost an hour!

Here's the result of running "rpm -qa | grep -i php":

 php-4.3.9-3
 php-ldap-4.3.9-3
 php-pear-4.3.9-3

The o/s is Fedora Core 3, and I selected the Server installation, which also
automatically installed apache 2.0.52, php 4.3.9, and mysql 3.23.58, as I
wanted.  And those are all rpm's.

I've installed a number of redhat's, suse's, debian, etc, and never had this
problem...but I have never used (or installed) apache2 before.

The .php files execute fine. That is, until I try to call the mysql_connect()
function.  Then I get the undefined-function error.

On apache1.3, the phpinfo() function shows the apache modules loaded, and that shows that mod_php4 is loaded. But on apache2, nothing is mentioned about php
in the list of loaded modules.

Nevertheless, if I add the LoadModule directive for php4 and restart apache2, apache2 complains that the module is already loaded. And it must be, because
otherwise, the .php files wouldn't execute.

It's almost as if apache2 is loading it's php module from some other source
that doesn't contain the mysql functions. By "from some other source", I mean
that maybe it's not loading the libphp4.so that's in the apache2 modules
directory.

The httpd.conf file has the directive ServerRoot set to /etc/httpd, and the
modules all use the pathname "modules/<mod_name>".  Thus,
"/etc/httpd/modules/<mod_name> should load the correct module. But there is no mention at all of "libphp4.so" in the httpd.conf file, or anywhere else I can find. In fact, a search for "php" in the httpd.conf file finds nothing. I'm
really stumped.

 --frank--