undefined mysql_connect() ???

I would really appreciate any help anyone can give me if you know anything
about this problem:

I am getting an undefined function call error message from PHP when I call
mysql_connect().

That error message appears in the httpd error_log file when I try to connect to
mysql.

The exact text of the error message is:

  [client 192.168.0.100] PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function:
  mysql_connect() in /var/www/html/lbl/mysql_globals.inc on line 19, referer:
  http://linux4/demo/menu.php?DATABASE=labels

I just installed Fedora Core 3, which also installed apache 2.0.52, php 4.3.9,
and mysql 3.23.58.

I think that error message usually means that the php module did not get
loaded, but when I add the php4 LoadModule and AddType directives to
httpd.conf, apache complains that the php4 module is already loaded.

And indeed, it must be, because .php files load and execute okay!

As for MySQL, the phpinfo() page shows the following in the configure line used
to build php:

  --with-mysql=share,/usr

And running the strings command on modules/libphp4.so shows that mysql_connect
and other mysql functions are present.

So it would appear that php should be able to find the mysql libs, which are in
/usr/lib/mysql.

PHP gives no other error messages.  I'm out of ideas.  Can anyone make any
suggestions?

TIA

--frank--