Re: PHP autogenerating Website Templates

Ok. Maybe I went a little bit over the edge :). I agree APSOLUTLY that asking questions without ANY research doesn't make a sense either. And, as you mentioned, is not helpful at all, neither for person who asked or the one who's going to try to answer.
But, sometimes, in my opinion, RTFM is used to often as an answer.

And part "...sometimes I’m scared to ask because of RTFM..." was metaphor. ;)

-afan

John Nichel wrote:

afan@xxxxxxxx wrote:

Maybe off topic:

I would not agree totally with that link because this really doesn't make a sense:

<snip>

The point of doing all the points (or as many as you can) is to do for yourself. If you (same thing) want someone to do a task for you with no research/work on your part, then pay that someone.

However, the more revelant part of that document for the OP is...

"Prepare your question. Think it through. Hasty-sounding questions get hasty answers, or none at all. The more you do to demonstrate that you have put thought and effort into solving your problem before asking for help, the more likely you are to actually get help."

Because, if you REALLY spend hours and days going steps 1 through 6 - why do we have a forum? If you (with "you", I am not talking about John or anybody else :)) even ask "stupid" question, some "directions" could help and save a time. If you had a question, at school age, about something, did you study all your books, checked library, talk to "skilled" friends or just asked teacher? If my kid ask me about math, do I have to tell him: "Go, check your book first, Google, RTFM..." For me is much more "effective" ask wife where my keys are then look for an hour and then ask wife even I know she knows.

<snip>

We're not kids here though.

I am new in PHP and got so many times "RTFM" answers and didn't find them helpful at all. From “skilled” friends, if they were there at the moment, I’ll get an answer immediately. Here, sometimes I’m scared to ask because of RTFM…

Why be scared?  Good thing this isn't Usenet. ;)