PHP exec function.

I run Windows XP Home SP2, Apache 1.3.24 and PHP 4.3.1. I have a php script
which uses the exec function to invoke a win32 application which writes its
results to a file which is then used in what is returned to the browser by the
script. It works.

I wanted to install the same script invoking the same win32 application on a
friends machine which runs Windows XP Pro SP2, Apache 2 and PHP 5.0.4. It
doesn't work.

Investigation/debugging indicates that the exec call simply doesn't invoke the
win32 application at all with no error indications from PHP. (echo statements
either side of the call). I have checked things like the path to the
application (I can call the application from the run prompt ok) and am now
completely stumped.

The relevant bit of my php script is:

$execstring="winposd.exe \"${physical}-${logical}-${parameter}\"";
$output=exec($execstring);

I am sure this is something very simple! But obviously beyond me.

Bob Snowdon