RE: Multiple inserts as a single string?

Thanks Richard that makes it clear.

Thomas

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Davey [mailto:rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 02 June 2005 12:43 PM
To: php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  Multiple inserts as a single string?

Hello Thomas,

T> I have a bit of strange question: when wanting to insert multiple
T> records into the db, instead of looping through the set and
T> executing mysql_query (which will then call the db n times), is it
T> not better to concat a string with all the insert statements and
T> let mysql handle the inserting, that way we don't call the db n
T> times from php. Does that make any difference?

Sure.. mysql_query doesn't support more than one query in the sql
statement.

If you want to do that then upgrade to PHP 5 (if you're not using it
already) and use mysqli_multi_query instead. I guess packages like
Pear DB may offer similar functionality, but I don't know for certain.

Best regards,

Richard Davey
--
 http://www.launchcode.co.uk - PHP Development Services
 "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." - Isaac Asimov