From: Shaw, Chris - Accenture [mailto:cshaw@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 02 June 2005 12:20 PM
To: Thomas; php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE:  Multiple inserts as a single string?

Thomas,

If you're inserting alot of rows, (eg millions) then concating them and
calling the db once probably would give a small speed advantage, because of
the database handshaking.
But I would look at the load the database is under, if there is alot of
users
hitting the database with small inserts/queries then the database is going
suffer as opposed to the same number of users hitting the database once with
a script.

The only problem I can think of, from php (client) point of view, if the
script (concated inserts) errors, then you will need to handle where it went
wrong, if it was loop, you know exactly what went wrong by outputing the
current insert statement.

C.