What Works Works Validator

This is OT in that it's more about HTML than PHP, but solutions involving
PHP would be particularly welcome.

After playing with the W3C validator again for an hour or so...

The thing is, I really want to be backwards compatible with ancient
browsers.  Like, REALLY ancient.

Like, say, going back as far as 3.0 browsers.

So, relying on CSS to do my layout is a non-option.  It's just not there.

But I LIKE the idea of having HTML validated to catch tag imbalance, typos
in attributes, and maybe even layout problems in weird versions of
browsers (eg Netscape 4.7 or IE on the Mac).

I don't really want to be compatible with the W3C standards, however,
since the penalty is layout that just plain doesn't work in ancient
browsers.

For example, I simply can't validate with a 100% height table, but that's
the only way to get the layout I want on both ancient and current
browsers.

Does anybody know of a "What Works Works Validator" which checks for
maxiumum browser compatibility rather than the W3C standard?

Or even just some tools that check HTML tag balancing, and maybe
spell-check attributes.  It has to be post-PHP URL-based on not IDE/editor
based, unless there's a PHP interpreter built into the editor to figure
out the HTML I'm spitting out...

Failing all that, does anybody know a non-CSS way to get a table to be
100% tall so I can get rid of this last error?

Or, perhaps, a way between JavaScript and PHP to calculate how much
white-space I need to make a spacer image to be the right height?

Or...

PS
Please let's not start a flame war about browser versions, browser makers,
standards-compliance, etc.

You can do whatever you want ; I just happen to believe that backwards
compatibility is more important than compliance with standards that aren't
even implemented correctly at this time.

So if your answer doesn't actually match my question, just hit "delete"
Thanks.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm