Re: php + cvs

Vlad Golodov wrote:
Hi All!

are here any people who have tried to develop php application using CVS?

yes, everyday :-)
bare in mind that CVS actually creates a bit more work for you (especially in the
beginning when you are still on the fairly steep CVS learning curve) but that
you gain in oversight and ability to step back etc etc.

Also I hear lots of good things about subversion (SVN), which is a
newer alternative for version control - some even say its better.

What programms have you used for it? CVS should be located on the internet.

when on Windows I use TortoiseCVS as my CVS client. your CVS server should be
setup somewhere you are reach it (I have mine setup so that I can SSH or VPN
to the network the CVS box is on) - alternatively if you are developing on your
own its quite feasable to run the CVS server/repository on your local box
(and move it later if you want to share).

the biggest problem is being able to check out a _working_ copy of your site.
that requires some preparation - often you have 2 or 3 places you need to run
a copy of a site (local/test, staging, live). each copy of the site may have
slightly different include paths, different DB connections, etc.
in order to accomodate the differences I usually keep 'box' specific configuration
stuff in barebones 1 file that does not exist in CVS (usually called global.php)
and/or make use of a .htaccess file that also does not exist inside CVS.

if you are deploying your sites/apps to remote servers (think linux/*nix) then you
had better get familiar with a few of the basic cmdlines for working with CVS, once
you have a checkout setup (for instance for staging or demoing) with the correct
CVSROOT (etc) its quite simple to update the 'demo' server with the following cmd
(typed while you are in the appropriate dir):

	> cvs up

Don't forget that if you are developing in a different place to where the live site
will run then you will probably have to keep DB schemas in sync as well - you will
have to think about keeping a DB updater script in CVS to allow you to update the
demo/live copies of the DB. Personally I'm a FirebirdDB fan - and I use IBExpert to
sync the different copies of a DB that may exist for a given project.

well there you have a little insight into my world, hope you succeed with version
control too!

rgds,
Jochem

Thanks in advance,