Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: __get() not reentrant?

On Tue, May 24, 2005 8:25 am, Christopher J. Bottaro said:
>> I think Richard is a fairly intelligent person, if he had been insulting
>> you I'm quite sure that he would have done a much better job ;-)

Oh yeah. :-)

> Thats great, I'm sure he's the reigning "cut down contest" champ on this
> list.  I don't care.  Like I said, I don't like being talked down to.  I
> found it very unnecessarily presumptuous of him to say stuff like "without
> knowing anything about you, I assume you have made bad design decisions,
> painted yourself in a corner, etc".  What the hell does any of that have
> do with the discussion?

That may be what you read.  It's certainly not what I typed.

I saw two possibilities:
1. You had written something really elegant where you needed __get() to be
recursive for a really good reason.
2. You, well, didn't...

I don't know you from Adam.

I said that it was MORE LIKELY that #2 applied, not knowing anything about
you.

Now, however, you have declared that you *DO* know what you are doing, so
I will cheerfully retract #2.

Happy?

>> php isn't perfect, neither are you - find a balance, get over it.
>
> Sigh.  PHP's motto:  "Get over it, we oppose change."  (According to you
> and
> Richard).

Another gross mis-representation of our theses...

I believe I shall simply cease responding to Mr. Bottaro.

> You're right, all those "cookbooks" are stupid.

Actually, a lot of those "cookbooks" are kinda stupid...

They show you how to do nifty things, but they don't really explain when
they should be applied, or more importantly, when not to apply them...

And a lot of software developers, NOT INCLUDING Mr. Battaro, who use those
cookbooks never really figure they out -- They apply the latest cool
cookbook technique they have mastered whether it's a better fit to the
problem than something from CS 101 or not.

>>> Speaking of "good design", Python's __getattr__() behaves how I expect.
>>
>> use it then?
>
> I would if I could, but I can't.  Besides, PHP is pretty fun/easy to
> program
> with, I'd say its my 2nd favorite language right now.  Again, I don't see
> whats wrong with trying to get fixed what I think is wrong.

Nothing wrong with that ; As noted, your post isn't going to the right
list, nor had the right tone/content to achieve that goal.

If you wanna re-write PHP, go to PHP-Dev.

> OK, all the subtle stabs at each other (and yes, they are subtle) aside,
> you
> brought up some good points about __get()'s behavior if it's implicit
> invocation allowed for recursion.  Thats all I really wanted, thanks for
> that.

You may be giving us more credit for subtlety than we deserve :-)

"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm